Word of Caution

Things posted here can (and will) induce violent reactions. Just be reminded that these things are my opinions and not in any way (or necessarily be) the general truth. Comment on the post if you have any reactions. I do not moderate the comments because you are entitled to your own opinions with your right to freedom of speech.

Furthermore, some topics may not be appropriate for you, depending upon your beliefs(primarily), strength of faith in your religion and your character integrity.

I usually disobey normal writing ethics by writing with a complete bias on one side because absolute objectivity, I believe, can never be attained.

You have been warned.

Friday, August 3, 2007

Internet Ethics

I'm an avid forum reader and blog surfer. I can spend hours just browsing around forums and replying to topics. But if there's one thing that I hate the most, it's Filipinos posting in Filipino on English-based [web]forums and/or blogs. Even in an international server of RO [Ragnarok Online], Filipinos really will not speak English. Which part of English-based don't they understand, anyway? No wonder our English proficiency has been on a steady decline. It's because the majority would not even try to be "correct". A lot of things really concern me about the Filipino-style English but the use of shortcuts really is quite disturbing.

With the advancement and increased popularity of SMS [Short Message Service] in the early 21st century, Filipinos once again applied their creativity by creating a jargon through the elimination and/or substitution of various parts of a word, leaving behind something that would phonetically sound like the original word but in a significantly shorter form and through removing different components of a sentence such as articles in order to maximize the character limit in sending a single message. This succeeded but with a deep price to pay. A lot of Filipinos, especially the youth, have had their spelling and grammar greatly impaired not only in English, but also in Filipino. I usually watch my brother play on an international RO server and observe how he "speaks" in English with fellow non-Filipino players. Simply put, it's horrible but compared to a majority of the Filipino players that we see, he's a cut above them. I pity non-Filipino players who struggle in understanding what the f*** these people are talking about.

No, I'm not advocating the English language and saying that our own language should not be taken seriously. On the contrary, I'm not advocating any. What I'm trying to convey is that if one should use a language, use it in its proper form and only with words that came from its own set of words. There are no half-measures.
As my Kasaysayan professor said, it's either use straight English or straight Filipino (or Tagalog to be more politically correct) because you won't be proficient in any if you use combinations.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good one, Rys! I remember teasing you once on YM by typing something in text lingo and you said, "oh my eyes!" Haha. Good morning and sleep tight. I just have to read your latest post before I go to sleep.:)

E. J. Fleisje said...

I never even knew what SMS stood for.

Before today. And you make a good point.

Anonymous said...

i dont think i've ever seen SMS lingo being described and critiqued in such a formal way... :P sorry, just had to say that, since i see your point, haha :P

Ryu said...

well.. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who sees it this way. =P

E. J. Fleisje said...

And for the record... I don't use "SMS" language in my texts.

If I do text. Which I find myself to be doing less and less frequently. But I digress.